Friday, January 3, 2014

Good bye 2013, Hello 2014

At the end of every month, Nicholas and I do a ritual. We turn the page on the calendar and say, with expression "Goodbye(name of the outgoing month), hello (incoming month)." On January 1st, we change the calendar and say "Good bye 2013, hello 2014". It sounds so cliche, but on every New Years Eve, I do what most people do and reflect on the year that is ending and think about the year ahead.

Overall, 2013 was a good year. I worked my second year at the same school, (albeit yet another grade change, but I've learned to appreciate the fact that I have a job) and moved from the portable to a classroom inside the school building. Nicholas had a great first year of school and started off Grade One on a high point. Blair had a good year in his work and we got ourselves back on a good financial track. Claire is becoming her own person, strong, not so brave, but independent. I am so proud of the person she is. Emily is growing like a weed and trying her hardest to keep up with her brother and sister. As I write this, she is playing a letter game on the ipad and actually recognizes some letters. Did I mention she's just 2 years old? I am so curious to see how she will change this next year.
On the "not so good" of 2013, there were things that I had wished I'd handled better, but as with everything, I have learned from them. I hope to do better in 2014. To quote Oprah "....you are responsible for your life, but doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment."

As we begin 2014, I think ahead to what's in store for us. First of all, this year, Claire turns 5 and heads to Kindergarten in the Fall. That, in itself is HUGE. How did that happen? How did I become the mom of two school aged children?? Not only will Claire start school, but she will also start soccer and so begins our weekends on the soccer pitch. I will officially become a soccer mom....with the mini van to match. One hope I have for this year is that I get a job at our local school. To be able to walk to school with my children and have them come to my class at the end of the day, is something both I and our bank account will be grateful for.

This is also the year that I hope to put an end to my back and shoulder pain with a much needed surgery. After four pregnancies and three children in six years, my body has been put through the ringer and need of some TLC. I hope that this surgery will help to get my physical life back on track. With my body back on the right track, I hope that my body image will improve and I can be a positive role model for my two young daughters.

I have a lot of hope for this year and as I reflect on the year that was, I am grateful for the lessons I've learned and, as I look ahead to the future, I am hopeful. 

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment